Every Body is Better with Bowen
Bowen Therapy was created by Mr Tom Bowen in Geelong Australia, back in the 1950’s and over the years it has become better known throughout Australia and overseas. The first class of Bowtech Bowen Therapy was presented in Australia in 1986 and is now taught and practiced all over the world.
What is Bowen Therapy?
Bowen Therapy is a unique skill, as it’s a gentle form of body work which enables the body’s own innate healing process to retrieve cellular memory of its preferred, relaxed, balanced way of wellbeing. The subtle moves of Bowen are performed on skin, innervating muscles, connective tissue, fascia and nerves, stimulating the body to heal itself.
Frequent but essential pauses or ‘waits’ are performed throughout the treatment between sets of moves which provides the body the opportunity to start and continue the healing process.
During the session, some clients will experience sensations, such as tingling, buzzing, heat, cold, heaviness or lightness. If this doesn’t occur, that’s fine, as some people are more sensitive than others. These sensations can continue for 5 to 10 days (Bowen Therapy works for around a week after treatment), and in some cases, a degree of discomfort may be experienced in this time as the body adjusts to a more balanced state.
Bowen therapy addresses specific conditions as well as the entire body on all levels, making it a very effective and dynamic therapy.
How often should I have Bowen?
Often only a few sessions of Bowen are required to work on presenting issues, however every body is unique and so each session is catered to suit the requirements of that particular client and some people require less or more sessions based on their responses to the treatments and presenting conditions.
An average Bowen session lasts between 45 and 60 minutes.
Investment = Adults = $75
Secondary = $65
Primary = $55
Infants = $45
* Private Health rebates are available for Bowen treatments providing clients have an appropriate level of cover through their participating health funds.
Receipt from Bowen treatments can be submitted by clients to their health fund provider for rebate processing. Please note that health funds do not have a code to electronically submit claims for Bowen Therapy in the clinic so you will need to put your claim in via email, an App or in person at your local branch.
Please check with your fund to make sure your level of cover allows you to claim for Bowen Therapy.
People of all ages can benefit from Bowen Therapy!
Who can Benefit?
Bowen Therapy is suitable for everyone. Newborns, the elderly, pregnant women and high level athletes can all benefit. Bowen can be adapted to suit the needs of the client, as procedures can be applied with the client lying on the treatment table, standing or seated in a chair or wheelchair.
What can Bowen help with?
Here are some of the issues that Bowen can work with:
- Back pain and sciatica
- Digestive and bowel problems including IBS, constipation and diarrhoea
- Ear-ache, ear infections, headaches and migraines
- Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome
- Knee, ankle and foot problems
- Menstrual and hormonal irregularities, including fertility issues
- Neck/shoulder problems, including Frozen Shoulder
- Groin pain, pelvic tilt and uneven leg length
- Respiratory problems eg. Asthma and hay fever
- RSI, carpal tunnel syndrome, tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow
- Sports and accident injuries
- Unsettled babies with Reflux or Colic
- TMJ misalignment, Sinus and Eye issues
- Oncology symptom support
- Dyslexia and ADD/ADHD
- Bells Palsy
- Stroke patients
- Pinched nerves
- And so much more…………
- The 3 W’s – Water, Walk & Wait – Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily, walk regularly & give the treatment time to process.
- Rest if required & take a brief walk around every 30mins to assist in circulation.
- Avoid crossing your arms & legs.
- Practice a balanced posture, eg. While standing, have both feet flat on the floor. This will maintain balance through the body.
- Avoid extremes of hot & cold, eg. Hot showers/baths, hot or cold packs, saunas, spa’s, etc.
- Avoid contact sport or resistance training for at least 24hrs after a treatment, as well as Magnets, eg, underlays, jewellery, etc.
- Avoid other modalities, eg, Massage or Chiropractic for 5 days before & after a treatment.
- Reactions from treatments vary and can include emotional & physical releasing. This is common, however if you have any concerns in the days following your treatment please don’t hesitate to contact me.
- Do any exercises that you have been instructed to do:
By following these guidelines clients will ensure their body is given the best possible chance to facilitate the healing and as a result their recovery time should be quicker.
As with any treatment, i.e. Massage, Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Bowen, Acupuncture, etc., clients should contact their treating practitioner if they have any questions or concerns in regard to their session.